Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mediation should be emphasized in law school - all law schools

I conducted a great mediation this morning. It would seem that there would be no negotiated settlement at many points during the mediation, but in the end, I was able to assist the parties towards a negotiated settlement. What a great feeling of satisfaction. The parties shook hands and smiled at each other afterwards. Success!

It got me to thinking that mediation should be a mandatory course at Canadian law schools. It should also become part of the designation of a lawyer. Just as we all become Notary Publics upon completion of law school, we should all become certified mediators upon graduation. It would save our court system bundles, and would result in a much less litigious society. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you on this. I am interested in a law career, but want to start of with paralegal and mediation courses just to get me accustomed slowly .... I have looked through the LSAT test books and find it very intimidating ... thus this specific route I want to take ....

    great to read your blog thanks
    Dure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mediation and negotiation skills would serve the legal community and the public equally well. Similar to Dure I am contemplating entering the legal profession as a law clerk before attempting law school. However, with an undergraduate degree completed I will be writing the LSAT in June 2009 to gauge my aptitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. モバゲーは遊び放題&出会い放題!SNSで遊び友達・趣味仲間・メル友・セクフレなどをみつけよう!楽しめること間違いなし☆

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very pleased to read this post. Really awesome post
    Hello , What Is the Every daily mail Rewards Membership?
    The My day by day mail Rewards membership may also be referred to as My Mail and has been working for just a few years, however solely partnered with Nectar in 2019.
    It’s a loyalty scheme that rewards your daily purchase of the Every single day Mail with Nectar Points that it is essential to declare.
    Primarily, anyone who buys a print copy of the My day by day mail Rewards or Mail on Sunday can declare Every day Mail rewards inside the kind of Nectar Points by the use of the My Mail site. day mail Rewards Tarn money Best mail online rewards job

    ReplyDelete