Monday, December 15, 2008

The power of emotion in advertising

I have been amazed this past couple of weeks at the power of emotion in advertising. This applies to both companies and individual who are advertising themselves.

I put out an ad this week that said "Enjoy Peace of Mind for the Holidays" - it was an ad for a discounted last will & testament. Our phones have been ringing off the hook. I would like to say it was because of the discount, but I've tried that tool before. I am convinced it is the hook line at the beginning of the ad.

Something to think about for you budding and existing lawyers as you strive to promote yourself as a lawyer. Emotion sells. Good service keeps the customer. You might even want to consider this thought when preparing your resumes and cover letters for upcoming summer and articling positions. A great first line or title goes really far.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to think long and hard about how to inspire the proper balance of fear of mortality and familial love, when applying for summer positions: "Hire me ... it could be the last decision you ever make!"

    ReplyDelete